PIANY President-elect John Tomassi, CPCU; PIANY Director Bruce D. Rowledge; and past President J. Carlos "Shawn" Viaña met with Evan Schneider, legislative aide to Sen. Neil D. Breslin, D-44, Sen. James Tedisco, R-49, George Amedore, R-46, Daphne Jordan, R-43, Assemblywoman Mary Beth Walsh, R-112, and Assemblyman Phil Steck, D-110, to discuss important issues to protect insurance consumers.
PIANY is working on behalf of independent agents, their businesses and their clients for the passage of a comprehensive legislative agenda in 2018-19, which includes:
- repeal of the anti-arson application requirement in New York City;
- protect consumers from carrier “bait-and-switch” activities;
- eliminating the New York State Insurance Fund’s 30-day rule for canceling a policy;
- authorizing the NYSIF to pay commissions to licensed brokers;
- standardizing the events that would trigger coastal homeowners insurance hurricane deductibles;
- reforming New York’s “Scaffold Law” to establish a comparative negligence standard for claims under Labor Law 240 and 241; and
- simplify the requirements of agents and brokers placing business in the state’s excess-line marketplace.