PIANY past Presidents N. Stephen Ruchman, CPIA; PIANY Director and PIANY-YIP past President Jason E. Bartow, AAI, CPIA; PIANY Directors Gary Slavin, CLTC, CIC, and Jorge Hernandez met with Sens. James F. Gaughran, D-5, John Flanagan, R-2, Monica Martinez, D-3, John E. Brooks, D-8, Kevin Thomas, D-6, Assemblymen David McDonough, R-14, and Michael Fitzpatrick, R-8, Andrew Raia, R-12; and Assemblywoman Melissa Miller, R-20, to discuss important issues to protect insurance consumers.
PIANY is working on behalf of independent agents, their businesses and their clients for the passage of a comprehensive legislative agenda in 2018-19, which includes:
- repeal of the anti-arson application requirement in New York City;
- protect consumers from carrier “bait-and-switch” activities;
- eliminating the New York State Insurance Fund’s 30-day rule for canceling a policy;
- authorizing the NYSIF to pay commissions to licensed brokers;
- standardizing the events that would trigger coastal homeowners insurance hurricane deductibles;
- reforming New York’s “Scaffold Law” to establish a comparative negligence standard for claims under Labor Law 240 and 241; and
- simplify the requirements of agents and brokers placing business in the state’s excess-line marketplace.