Eligible for continuing education credits in all states, CIC is one of the most advanced, highly recognized professional education designation programs in the insurance industry. The program provides a comprehensive and continuing education program to individuals who have made a career commitment to insurance.The institutes and examinations are based on the premise that the student has a good grasp of the subject matter before coming to the institute. The program is provided by the National Alliance and PIA's associations in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. (The New Hampshire program is coordinated by MAIA.)
Remember, you don't have to be seeking the designation to attend CIC institutes. People are welcome to attend for state CE credit or personal enrichment. Exams are optional for those not seeking the designation.
Customize your education and choose five of the following options to earn your CIC designation. All options are approved for state continuing education credit.
- Personal lines—This institute addresses the unique needs of individuals, families, and family members. You will learn to handle the complexities of state-specific personal lines forms.
- Commercial casualty— Explore casualty exposures and become familiar with important coverages.
- Commercial property—At this institute, you will learn innovative ways to maximize coverage for various types of commercial property accounts.
- Life and health—This institute will provide the basic, essential background, knowledge, and confidence to succeed in this market.
- Agency management—Agency personnel today must be both professional insurance counselors and sound business people. Learn the operations necessary to run an agency.
- Commercial Multiline — Explore commercial multiline exposures and become familiar with important coverages. Topics Covered: Businessowners policies, commercial inland marine concepts and coverages, crime coverages and endorsements, cyber exposures and coverages, EPLI and excess liability/commercial umbrella coverages
- Insurance Company Operations — This institute describes how insurance companies function and why that is important to all insurance and risk management professionals. Learn about the important strategic descisions and tactics used in product development, underwriting, distribution, claims, and other vital company departments.
- Choose one CRM or CPRM course — Offered by the National Alliance
Advanced CIC program exclusively for dues-paying CICs:
- James K. Ruble Graduate Seminars—Advanced and specialty topics, camaraderie among a network of CICs and CRMs nationwide, and some terrific vacation destinations combine to make James K. Ruble Seminars * higher education at its best.
CIC CE credit guide
James K. Ruble Seminars
CE credit is available for the state in which the Ruble is held and all bordering states. If you are licensed in a different state and are registering less than 40 days from the program, please contact The National Alliance Continuing Education Department to determine if CE credit is available, 800-633-2165.
Each institute is approved for 15 BR, C3, PA, PC hours, except for AM, which is approved for "Bridge credits" (15 LA, C1, LB, BR, C3, PC, LSB, PA) and LH, which is approved for 15 LA, C1, LB, LSB.
Each institute is approved for 20 GEN hours, except for AM, which is approved for 16 GEN and 4 ETH; and LH, which is approved for 18 LH, 2 LTC.
According to the NJ DOBI, producers who maintain and fulfill the CE requirements for a professional insurance designation approved by the DOBI (CIC, CISR), shall be awarded 12 credit hours for each full year of the two years preceding renewal for which these requirements were fulfilled. Application to obtain such approval shall be made by using the CE1A form. Therefore, CICs and CISRs updating/maintaining their designations AUTOMATICALLY comply with the DOBI's CE requirements (24 credits that include the 3 credits in ethics).
If you have questions, go to the NJ DOBI's site, here.
Each institute is approved for 20 PC hours, except for the CIC LH institute, which is approved for 20 LH; and AM which is approved for 16 LH and 4 LRE or 16 PC and 4 LRE.
AM = 20 GEN & 4 ETH; LH = 21 LH; PL = 24 GEN; CML CC, CP = 20 GEN. *Subject to change. Call Society of CIC at (800) 633-2165 for the most up-to-date CEUs granted for your state.
CIC institutes are approved for CE in all states. Have a license in a state besides NY, NJ, CT or NH? Information on CIC CE credit in all states is available through The National Alliance's CE guide.